Policy effective 31 March 2014
Skoolbo is committed to ensuring your privacy is protected. Skoolbo collects the minimum amount of information possible for the effective learning management of the Child. Personal information related to the child is shared only with the Parent, the Teacher and the School Administrator. Skoolbo will never sell, distribute or lease the User’s personal information to third parties.
Skoolbo strives to be fully compliant with the Australian Privacy Principles (APPs) – 12 March 2014.
- What personal information does Skoolbo collect?
Skoolbo collects the minimum amount of information possible for the effective learning management of the Child.
- The first name (or pseudonym) of the Child;
- The initial of the surname (or pseudonym) of the Child. For example, if the surname is Smith then the initial would be S;
- The School name
- The Class name
- The Teacher name
- The Teacher email
- Right to Anonymity and Pseudonymity
- All users have the right to anonymity and pseudonymity. It is perfectly acceptable for pseudonyms to be used.
- Any pseudonyms must be reasonable and not vulgar or rude in nature.
- What personal information does Skoolbo not collect?
Skoolbo does not collect personally identifiable information of the Child such as:
- Physical address;
- Telephone number;
- A persistent identifier that can be used to recognize a user over time and across different websites or online services;
- A photograph, video, or audio file, where such file contains a child’s image or voice;
- Geolocation information sufficient to identify street name and name of a city or town.
- What Skoolbo collects while the User is using the Skoolbo Services
- Results and scores from the educational games.
- Usage statistics within the various sections of the Skoolbo services.
- While using the Skoolbo Services Skoolbo automatically collects and records certain information such as the User’s unique device ID; the User’s hardware type; the User’s operating system (“OS”); and the User’s Internet Protocol (“IP”) address. This information is used solely to assist Skoolbo in troubleshooting and understanding usage trends. This information is anonymous and not personally identifiable.
- Skoolbo does not record any information on the User when the User is not signed in to the Skoolbo Services.
- What Skoolbo does with the information it gathers
- The Child’s results are shared with the Parent, the Teacher and School Administrator.
- The Skoolbo Services uses multiplayer games. Multiplayer games share with the other players information such as the Child’s first name; the Child’s school and State/Territory or Country; the Child’s result from the current game.
- The Skoolbo Services also use “Leaderboards” and “Newsfeeds” which highlight outstanding performances by the Child. The Leaderboards and NewsFeeds contain such items as the Child’s first name; the Child’s school; the Child’s score or award.
- Skoolbo does not sell, distribute or lease the User’s personal information to third parties unless Skoolbo has the User’s permission or are required by law to do so.
- Skoolbo analyzes the aggregated data on the system to improve its services. No personally identifiable information is used for this purpose.
- Skoolbo shares anonymised data with The University of Wollongong. This information is for research purposes which are ultimately designed to improve learning outcomes. No personally identifiable information is shared.
- Skoolbo reserves the right to share or sell the aggregated data on the system to other third parties. No personally identifiable information is used for this purpose.
- Skoolbo is committed to ensuring that the User’s information is secure. In order to prevent unauthorized access or disclosure, Skoolbo has put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information Skoolbo collects online.
- Skoolbo uses Microsoft Windows Azure for the storage of data and general cloud services. Microsoft Windows Azure is recognized as a leader in cloud storage services for both security and continuity of service. Microsoft Windows Azure is utilised for storage of data. Microsoft Windows Azure does not disclose or sell any data to 3rd parties unless required to do so by law. For more information please refer to http://www.windowsazure.com/en-us/support/legal/services-terms/. The Microsoft Windows Azure servers are located in the United States and Singapore. Privacy policies of Microsoft Windows Azure are consistent with the Australian Privacy Principles.
- Skoolbo uses SendGrid for the sending of emails to the Parent and the Teacher. SendGrid is recognized as a leader in email delivery services. SendGrid does not disclose or sell any data to 3rd parties unless required to do so by law. For more information please refer to http://sendgrid.com/tos.html. The SendGrid servers are located in the United States. Privacy policies of SendGrid are consistent with the Australian Privacy Principles.
- A cookie is a small file which asks permission to be placed on the User’s computer’s hard drive. The file is added and the cookie helps analyse web traffic.
- Skoolbo uses traffic log cookies to identify which pages are being used. This helps Skoolbo analyse data about web page traffic and improve the Skoolbo Services in order to tailor it to customer needs. Skoolbo only uses this information for statistical analysis purposes and then the data is removed from the system.
- A cookie in no way gives Skoolbo access to the User’s computer or any information about the User, other than the data the User chooses to share with Skoolbo.
- The User can choose to accept or decline cookies. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but the User can usually modify browser setting to decline cookies. This may prevent the User from taking full advantage of www.skoolbo.com.au.
- How Skoolbo uses web beacons
- Skoolbo may collect information using web beacons. Web beacons or “gifs”, are electronic images that may be used on Skoolbo website or in Skoolbo emails. Skoolbo may use web beacons to deliver cookies, count visits and to tell if an email has been opened and acted upon.
- Links to other websites
- Any links to third party websites located on www.skoolbo.com.au are provided for the User’s convenience only.
- Skoolbo takes all reasonable steps to ensure any links to third party websites are appropriate. Skoolbo is not responsible for the content on any linked third party website. The User is encouraged to notify Skoolbo at firstname.lastname@example.org if there are any inappropriate links on www.skoolbo.com.au.
- Correction of Personal Information
- Users have the right to access and correct any Personal Information contained on Skoolbo.
- In most circumstances this will be done directly by the Parent; Teacher or School Administrator on the Skoolbo site.
- Users may also email email@example.com and request changes to be made.
- Changes of Personal information will apply to both Skoolbo services and related third parties such as Microsoft Windows Azure and SendGrid.
- Changes of Personal Information will occur within 72 hours.
- Removal of Personal Information
- Users have the right to have all Personal Information removed from Skoolbo services.
- Users may email firstname.lastname@example.org to request removal.
- Removal of Personal Information will apply to both Skoolbo services and related third parties such as Microsoft Windows Azure and SendGrid.
- Removal of Personal Information will occur within 72 hours.
For further information please contact Skoolbo at:
Skoolbo Australia Pty Ltd
Level 5, E29, 2 Moore Street
Canberra ACT 2601