Skoolbo Terms and Conditions
Updated May 24, 2018
Welcome to Skoolbo, which is owned and operated by Skoolbo PTE (“Company,” “we,” “us” or “our”). By purchasing a subscription to, registering an account for, or using Skoolbo Services, including all of the services provided therein, and any other websites and applications that link to these Terms (collectively, the “Services”), you acknowledge that you have read and understand these Terms, and agree to be bound by them.
From time to time Skoolbo may modify the Skoolbo Terms and Conditions. Teachers and Parents will be notified of any updated policy and the most current version may be found here.
Summary of Key Points
Account Establishment Process
- User accounts. Skoolbo is open to children beneath the age of 18 and accounts may be created by teachers and parents. Skoolbo Services collects a minimum amount of non-identifiable information from children specifically first name, surname initial and birth month. Users may may choose to use pseudonyms as long as they are non-offensive, racist or rude.
- Informed Parental Consent. For teacher-created accounts, informed consent must be gained from the parent and/or guardian (either via a paid home license or a signed consent form) to use the My Reading and My Writing sections.
- Authorization to Charge for Services. You must either use a credit card or other payment mechanism accepted by us, e.g., debit card (“Pay Mechanism”) to activate and maintain a paid Account. You authorize us to charge you through the Pay Mechanism that you use when registering for an Account. You will also be responsible for charges related to any products or services you order that are offered for sale through the Services. If we do not receive payment from the Pay Mechanism you use, you agree to pay all amounts due hereunder upon our demand and will be solely responsible for any dispute with your payment provider. Should the Pay Mechanism provided initially be declined for insufficient funds or any other reason, we reserve the right to attempt to recharge the Pay Mechanism in full or in lesser installments of the initially incurred charge for the duration of the Account subscription you selected and for up to an additional 90 days. You will not be charged more than the amount for which you purchased your Account subscription. You will be solely responsible for all overdraft fees and/or penalties that may be assessed by your payment provider. We use a third-party service provider to process payments on our behalf. You acknowledge and agree that in the event the third-party payment processor experiences a data breach that affects your information through no fault of Company, Company will in no way be responsible or liable to you for any such breach.
- Subscription Renewal. By activating an Account, you agree that we may renew your subscription automatically for the same subscription term on the day after your previous subscription ends, and you authorize us to charge you for the subscription term, unless you cancel your Account prior to its renewal date through the procedures described in the “Subscription Cancellation” section below. We will charge your Pay Mechanism each year, month, or other applicable period (depending on the term you selected) for the then-current applicable price.
- Subscription Cancellation. To cancel your subscription and avoid future billing, you may cancel your Account prior to its renewal date through the My Account area in the Parents Section. You will continue to have access to your Account for the period of time that has already been prepaid. If you cancel an Account while on a free trial the cancellation will be immediate. After you cancel your Account, we will not charge you any subscription fees after the expiration of your then-current subscription. Please note we do not provide full or partial refunds for prepaid sums. In any event, for paid accounts you will be able to continue to use the Services throughout the remainder of the subscription period for which you have already paid.
- Access to data. A parent or teacher has the right to request access to any data related to their specific accounts. Skoolbo will provide this data within 14 days of receiving a written request on email@example.com.
- Removal of data. A parent or teacher has the right to request the removal of all data relating to their specific accounts. Skoolbo will process this within 14 days of receiving a written request a written request on firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Account deactivation. Each year, Skoolbo will systematically remove inactive accounts. A user account is deemed to be inactive if the teacher or school does not have a paid subscription and there has been no login or usage during a 12-month period. Once an account has been inactive for 12 months it is removed from the Skoolbo system and all identifiable data is deleted.
What License does Skoolbo grant?
- Limited License. Subject to your strict compliance with these Terms and the Additional Terms and your payment of any applicable subscription fees, we grant you a limited, non-exclusive, revocable, non-assignable and non-transferable license (“License”) to access, display, view, use, play, the Content on a personal computer, mobile phone or other wireless device, or other Internet-enabled device (each, an “Internet Device”) for your personal, non-commercial use only (e.g., teachers may use Content from the Services for educating their students and other users’ use is limited to personal use). The License does not give you any ownership of, or any other intellectual property interest in, any Content or the Services, and you cannot otherwise use the Content or the Services without our express prior written permission. All rights not expressly granted to you are reserved by us and/or our licensors and other third parties. Except as expressly provided in these Terms or with Company’s express prior written consent, no part of the Services and no Content may be used, copied, reproduced, distributed, uploaded, posted, publicly displayed, translated, transmitted, broadcasted, sold, licensed or otherwise exploited for any purpose whatsoever. Any unauthorized use of any Content or the Services for any purpose is prohibited.
Skoolbo’s Trademarks, Logos, Graphics, Audio or Other Assets
- Unless otherwise stated, the User may not use or alter Skoolbo’s trademarks, logos, graphics, audio or other assets included in Skoolbo Services in any way other than for their intended purposes.
Reservation of Rights
- Skoolbo reserves all right, title and interest in Skoolbo Services (including all characters, storyline, images, photographs, animations, video, audio, music, text), and all associated copyrights, trademarks, and other intellectual property rights therein.
- The User may not decompile, disassemble, or reverse engineer Skoolbo Services, or any component thereof, by any means whatsoever.
- The User may not “hack” or intentionally degrade Skoolbo Services.
- The User may not remove, alter, or obscure any product identification, copyright, or other intellectual property notices in Skoolbo Services. All rights not expressly granted herein are reserved by Skoolbo.
Skoolbo’s Trademarks, Logos, Graphics, Audio or Other Assets
- Unless otherwise stated the User may not use or alter Skoolbo’s trademarks, logos, graphics, audio or other assets included in Skoolbo Services in any way other than for their intended purposes.
Skoolbo Services Uptime
- Skoolbo takes all reasonable steps to ensure Skoolbo Services are available 24 hours every day. However, websites and other online applications sometimes encounter downtime due to server and other technical issues. Skoolbo will not be liable if Skoolbo Services are unavailable at any time.
- Where possible, Skoolbo will try to give advance warning of maintenance issues but shall not be obliged to do so.
Responsibilities of Users
- It is the responsibility of each user and or associated adult to maintain the confidentiality of their account password.
- It is the responsibility of every User to refrain from trying to “hack” or intentionally degrade Skoolbo Services.
Material the User sends to Skoolbo or posts on Skoolbo Services
Links to other Websites
- Any links to third-party websites located on Skoolbo Services are provided for the User’s convenience only.
- Skoolbo takes all reasonable steps to ensure any links to third-party websites are appropriate. Skoolbo is not responsible for the content on any linked third-party website. If the User chooses to access a third-party website linked to from any Skoolbo service, it is at the User’s own risk. The User is encouraged to notify Skoolbo if there are any inappropriate links on Skoolbo services.
Links from other Websites
The User may provide a link to Skoolbo Services on another website on the basis that:
- The User does not in any way imply that Skoolbo is endorsing any services or products unless this has been specifically agreed in writing with Skoolbo.
- The User does not misrepresent the relationship between the User and Skoolbo.
- The User does not present any false information about Skoolbo.
- The use of any part of Skoolbo Services is entirely at the User’s own risk, for which Skoolbo shall not be liable.
- It shall be the User’s own responsibility to ensure Skoolbo Services meet the User’s specific requirements.
- Skoolbo takes all reasonable steps to ensure that the information on Skoolbo’s Services is correct. However, Skoolbo does not guarantee the correctness or completeness of material contained within Skoolbo Services. Skoolbo may make changes to the material contained within Skoolbo Services at any time and without notice.
- Skoolbo takes all reasonable care to ensure the maintenance and security of the User’s data. However, Skoolbo does not guarantee the data. Skoolbo accepts no responsibility for a temporary or permanent loss of data.
- The User agrees that Skoolbo is financially liable only to the amount you have paid in the preceding 12 months.
- The User agrees that Skoolbo shall not be liable for any consequential damages.
- The User agrees that none of the Supporting Partners of Skoolbo are liable in any way.
- The Skoolbo Terms and Conditions shall be governed by and construed in accordance within Singaporean law. Any dispute(s) arising in connection with this Legal Notice is/are subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of Singapore.
- If any provision of the terms and provisions within the Skoolbo Terms and Conditions are determined to be invalid, it shall not affect the validity and enforcement of the remaining terms and provisions within Skoolbo Terms and Conditions.